Get Hired Now Read More

Skip navigation

Serving the Buffalo Area since 1995

Scherer Electric Blog

5 Signs of Electrical Wiring Problems You Shouldn’t Ignore


Small electrical problems may seem like nuisances, but they often point toward much larger issues with a home’s wiring. Damaged or aging wires can lead to major emergencies like fires if they aren’t addressed. If you have wiring trouble in your house, it’s critical to have the problem addressed right away—and not as a DIY project! You’ll need professional electricians to come to your house to examine the wiring, identify the problem, and have it safely repaired.

If you notice any of the warning signs of wire trouble below, call our licensed electricians for electrical repair in Orchard Park, NY that will ensure your house stays safe and stays powered.

1. Flickering or Dimming Lights

If you notice your lights flickering or dimming, it could be a sign of an underlying electrical issue. This problem is often associated with overloaded circuits or loose wiring connections. Ignoring flickering lights can lead to overheating and potential electrical fires.

It’s easy to ignore flickering lights, which often occur during storms or when there’s strain on the local electrical system. If this is a common problem in your house, you need to have electricians assess the situation and see if there’s a need for repairs.

2. Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips

Are you regularly having to go to the basement (or wherever your electrical panel is located) to reset a tripped circuit breaker? This isn’t just an inconvenience. It’s a warning that circuits in your house are regularly overloading. This may be the fault of malfunctioning appliances, but it may also be a problem with damaged wiring or circuits unable to handle the load required.

A situation we’ve often encountered when investigating tripped circuit breakers is that the electrical panel itself is the problem: it’s too old and worn down. In this case, we’ll replace the panel. Otherwise, we can track down the source of the trouble and correct it.

3. Burning Odor

An acrid burning odor in your house, especially one that is near outlets or your electrical panel, is an immediate concern. This is the odor of overheating wires that may trigger an electrical fire. Before you call for professional electricians, shut off the power to that area of the house from the electrical panel. 

4. WOutlets or Switches That Are Warm to the Touch

When you touch an outlet or switch and notice it feels warm to the touch, it’s a sign that there may be an issue with the electrical wiring behind it. Warm outlets or switches can indicate loose connections or overloaded circuits, which are a major source of fire hazards. Call for electricians to inspect the outlets.

5. Sparking or Electrical Arcing

Sparks or electrical arcing when you plug in an appliance or flip a switch are clear signs of trouble. This can occur when there are loose or damaged wires behind the switch or the outlet. Never ignore this: sparking or arcing can cause an electrical fire and damage your home.

Scherer Electric Is Western New York’s Favorite Electrician! Schedule electrical repair service with us today.

Comments are closed.